26th Annual New York Books Show
CALL FOR ENTRIES
The Book Industry Guild of New York invites you to enter your publication in the 26th Annual New York Books Show. This event encourages, recognizes, honors, and celebrates excellence in book production and design. Please click on the approritae Entry below, it will direct you to the corresponding form to enter your Publication.
HOW TO ENTER
The following three steps must be completed for a book or cover to be considered in the competition:
1. Submission of Specification: Choose the type of entry you’d like to submit (Book or Cover/Jacket) and complete the corresponding form. You may enter as many pieces as you want.
2. Submission of Payment: Please submit payment by credit card or PayPal on the website, and forward a copy of your payment confirmation along with your entry. If you are paying by check (made out to Book Industry Guild of New York), please be sure to send it along with your entry with a list of the titles you are entering. The entry fees are: $45 for a BOOK, $55 for a BOOK SERIES, $35 for a COVER OR JACKET, $45 for a COVER OR JACKET SERIES and $25 for a MAGAZINE OR JOURNAL.
3. Submission of Book and Covers: Please send:
ONE copy of each book and/or
TWO copies of each cover/jacket submission along with
Your completed entry form and
Payment confirmation OR check to:
C/o Random House
14th Floor/Rudyard Kipling Room
Entries will be accepted starting Monday, November 7 and no later than Thursday, November 9. Entries received outside of the submission period will not be considered for judging.
- Books cannot be returned. All submissions are donated to the Literacy Assistance Center of New York.
- Winners in each category will be notified the week after judging and asked to submit electronic files of the winning covers/jackets and/or book interiors for using in the catalog. Only winners will be asked to submit artwork. The image you submit will appear in the show catalog, so please be sure it is a good representation of your work and of sufficient resolution.
1. CHILDREN’S TRADE
Books in this category vary in subject matter and are create primarily for young people. They might be highly illustrated or may have innovative nontraditional elements. They may feature attachments that support the editorial content and promote participation and experimentation. Elements intended to support the editorial content of these books must be incorporated into the book or be physically attached. Sub-categories include:
- Hardcover Picture Book – Fiction
- Hardcover Picture Book – Nonfiction
- Hardcover Young Adult – Fiction
- Hardcover Young Adult – Nonfiction
- Young Adult Illustrated Novel
- Young Adult Graphic Novel
- Novelty Book (includes books with distinct elements such as die-cuts, multiproduct and board books)
- Pop-Up Books
- Trade Paperback – Cover only
2. GENERAL TRADE
Books in this category are published primarily for their content, but may include illustrations and photo sections. Sub-categories include:
- Hardcover Book – Fiction
- Hardcover Book – Nonfiction
- Quality Paperback Book (original publications or those redesigned from hardcover editions)
- Mass Market – Cover only
- Literary Magazines
3. SPECIAL TRADE
Books in this category are designed to maximize their illustrative appeal. Subject matter may be highly specialized or of a general nature. Sub-categories include:
- General Book (includes books on crafts, travel, gardening, hobbies and style/fashion)
- Fine Art - Under $75 Retail
- Fine Art - Over $75 Retail
- Gift Book
- Adult Graphic Novel
5. SCHOLARLY & PROFESSIONAL
Books in this category are geared toward upper-level graduate students, professionals, or libraries. Sub-categories include:
- Scholarly Books
- Reference Books
- Business Books
6. SCHOOL PUBLISHING
Books in this category are textbooks intended for classroom use and are purchased by schools and/or undergraduate students. Sub-categories include:
- Middle/High School
- College (includes titles for vocational or adult education use)
- School Library Series
SUBMISSIONS & JUDGING
Entries must have been published between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011.
A book of thirty-two pages or more may be bound in either hard or soft cover. Publications fewer than thirty-two pages must be hardcover and thus distinguishable from a booklet.
Books in a Series
Books must be published as a series, identical in design and manufacture. For ELHI texts, select one student edition per grade, one teacher edition from one grade and one piece of ancillary material.
To ensure that entries are evaluated with the appropriate criteria in mind, categories have been established to recognize the intended use of the book, as well as the demands, constraints, challenges, and opportunities that exist in each category.
The judges will examine and evaluate entries with respect to the following classifications:
Is the style and size appropriate to the intended market? Is the arrangement of type and graphics effective and functional? Are the graphic elements creatively planned, purposeful, and well executed? Is the use of color effective and appropriate? Have the inserts, cover, jacket, endpapers, and other components been designed to complement and enrich the book as a whole? Does the design help the reader understand the authors’ intent?
Do composition and page makeup of the interior demonstrate high standards and well-recognized practices of the bookmaking craft? Do illustrations and photographic images have good tonal range between shadows and highlights? Is detail held in highlight and shadow areas? Does the interior show an attention to detail which units all elements typographic, ornamental, illustrative or photographic image together in a coherent and thoughtful manner?
Is the printing well executed with respect to inking, register, and image clarity? Has suitable paper been used? Are margins consistent and page backup accurate? Is the printing of component elements, such as cover, jacket, inserts, and endpapers, consistent with the quality of the text printing? Is the book bound according to the best practices of bindery craftsmanship?